Maybe some of you are dinosaurs who think social media is a passing fad with only a tangential relationship to your business.
I hate to admit this, but I have seen the birth of many services in the last 20 years that I thought had no chance of making it. I could not at the time understand the utility of services such as short message services or picture sharing.
I realize now that “utility” was the wrong metric. The correct measure was emotion. I finally recognized the feeling that short messages gave me. It was that same secret thrill of passing notes back in high school. It was a feeling of inclusion that, in my opinion, is the emotional hook of social media. The service platforms make the pathways for the messages easy and accessible.
Emotion is the essence of marketing. When people resonate a product strongly with an emotion, you are building a powerful brand.
So what does this have to do social media?
Social media is a means to engage with your customers. It can build and strengthen customer relationships and get immediate feedback. Build the connection of the emotion, build the brand.
- Measure your brand value by following yourself on social media.
- Measure your competitors’ brands by following their activities (branding, market share, performance).
- Follow industry events, conferences.
- Follow campaign effectiveness and reach.
- Follow industry influencers and connect with their followers for more reach.
That is the “why” of social media.
The “what” is how are you managing it, especially in a crisis? Continue reading